Since Apple Pay launched in 2014, there have been drastic changes in the way typical Canadian consumers choose to make their regular payments. These changes are in line with the increase of smartphone and smart device usage as well as the popularity of online shopping platforms and mobile wallets. In Canada, the majority of consumers use Android devices and waited eagerly for the release of Android Pay in 2016.
How Does Android Pay Work In Canada?
Similar to Apple Pay, which allows users to make payments with support via their iOS, Android Pay uses the Google platform paired with NFC technology to facilitate payments. Just like Apply Pay, Android Pay works with most major banks to enable payment facilities. Many of the earlier banks to incorporate Android Pay with Interac debit support are Desjardins, Scotiabank, CIBC, and BMO. American Express, Mastercard and Visa are also supported via Android Pay.
Android Pay Technology
Android Pay works mainly due to NFC technology which allows two independent electronic devices to share information. This is typically between a Smartphone and a reader, and the information is passed via a completely secure network. NFC technology has opened the doors for new forms of payment tech thanks to its efficiency, security, and ease of use. EMV security has also made NFC technology universally applicable.
Android Pay for Customers
Using Android Pay is easy and can be activated in 3 steps.
- Download and install Android Pay from the Play Store.
- Add a valid credit or debit card.
- Visit a POS terminal that accepts Android Pay, and hold your phone to the station to complete your payment.
Android Pay for Merchants
As a merchant, it’s easy to offer Android Pay as a payment solution for your customers. Simply obtain a contact-free POS terminal from Royal Debit or any other merchant service who offers integrated Android Pay support. Royal Debit also offers the Android Pay decal kit so you can let your customers know that Android Pay is available in your location.
Why Android Pay Is Beneficial
Contact free payments are helpful for customers and retailers alike, but there are a few factors about Android Pay that are exceptionally beneficial.
- More Rewards – Many retailers offer Loyalty Programs that are tied to the Android Pay system. Apple Pay users find themselves still needing to carry an actual loyalty card in addition to their device to earn points.
- Easy To Use – Security is a good thing, and NFC tech is already secure. Android Pay solutions allow customers to pay with a pattern, password, pin or even a face at the POS, whereas Apple Pay only operates on the fingerprint system which has been known to malfunction in times of need.
- More Accessible – Apple Pay is only available to users that have an iPhone 6 or above, but Android Pay is available on any android phone that contains the app.
These are only some the advantages Royal Debit has to offer via our Android Pay program. We are always here to speak with you about your POS needs, give us a call at (416) 986-3342 today.